It’s come to my attention that a lot of the frustration with my stomach isn’t actually because of fat, which is a good thing and a bad thing. It’s bloat. A part of me wishes it was fat so I could just kill it at the gym for a while and tone up, but bloat means adjusting my diet and avoiding some major food groups. Usually that’d be pretty okay considering a lot of the food that helps with bloating is super yummy, but it’s really hard to do on a college cafeteria diet. Especially at a big school like IU where so much of the food is processed and mass produced (nothing but salads and plain yogurt, let me tell you). However, in hopes of getting it under control, I’m posting a list of foods that increase bloating and foods that decrease it.
(Image from: http://www.wellandgoodnyc.com/)
Stay away from (in moderation!):
2. Broccoli and cabbage
4. Artificial sweetener (whoops)
5. Fatty/sugary foods in general
6. Dairy – however! Some websites recommend yogurt as a de-bloater, so keep in mind it’s all about how your body reacts!
7. Gum and hard candy
8. Carbonated and caffeinated drinks – you shouldn’t be drinking soda regardless, but coffee’s a tough one to avoid. However, some sites say black coffee is actually good for de-bloating, so there’s hope.
9. Alcohol. Just kidding, there is no hope.
Try these for de-bloating:
1. Avocado ❤
2. Water with lemon
3. Celery (try dipping in peanut butter, some sites say peanut butter helps with de-bloating too!)
5. Any kind of fiber-rich food
6. Yogurt (depending on how your body reacts to dairy, though. supposedly it’s better than milk)
7. Peppermint tea
That’s not to mention that bloating is a major consequence of overeating, eating too quickly and not drinking enough water (6-8 glasses a day). All things I’m guilty of occasionally, mostly the water and eating too quickly parts. Remember, snacking when you aren’t hungry counts as overeating!